Rabbits and hares are very similar in appearance. Moreover, they belong to the same group - lagomorphs (not rodents, as some mistakenly believe). And they both have the activity is usually at dusk. Feed them grass, tree bark, vegetables as lucky. Saved from total opponents - predatory animals, birds and man. Methods of protection for hares and rabbits too similar - jumping, sudden change of direction; if necessary, can have a strong kick or bite. However, there are differences: hares, as is well known, well run, and the rabbits run slower, because the hind legs are much shorter than in rabbits. Instead of fleeing at the sight of danger, they prefer to harden. But you can, and give heels, and also bertko like a rabbit, so to catch a rabbit is not so easy.
The appearance of the hare and rabbit
For all its resemblance rabbits and hares in biology are very different - so much so that not even cross each other, i.e. they may not produce offspring from each other. This is due to including genetically: the hares in the chromosomal set of 24 pairs of chromosomes, in rabbits is only 22.
Many believe that the difference between hares and rabbits is that rabbits domestic animals and rabbits - wild. This is not the case. Rabbits - the taming of the wild, who still live in Europe, North America and Southeast Asia. By the way, all attempts to tame hares failed.
Hare and European wild rabbit
- Hares are not tied to a particular territory, they do not build burrows. Rabbits dig holes, and can live in the same burrow for a long time.
- Rabbits live in colonies, females give birth in burrows. Hares also prefer to live alone - they become sociable only in the mating season.
- Paws and ears in rabbits shorter than the rabbits. Rabbits, as we said above, slower birds with one stone: if a hare is capable of speeds up to 50-70 km/h, then the rabbit is only 20-25 km/H.
- Hares have a seasonal moult: winter color white rabbits, summer and darker. Rabbits also moult twice a year, but the color does not change during molts.
- Are hares and rabbits and breeding process. Rabbits breed all year round, and hares - only in the breeding period (it varies depending on the habitat; in Europe this March-September). The pregnancy of zichichi lasts up to 45 days, and rabbits - 1.5 less: up to 32 days (about 4 weeks).
- The hares are born with their eyes open, hearing, covered with fuzz, fully formed, can almost immediately consume a food adult animals. Even at 5-7-th day they can graze. The young rabbits are born completely helpless, blind, deaf, naked and fed only mother's milk for up to 4 weeks. For independent life they become ready only on the 25th.
- Mother-DOE-rabbit carefully caring for their children. The angel comes to feed bunnies 1 time per day, or 4 days in a row may not appear! But if bunnies will find foreign nursing angel, she will feed them. The DOE-rabbit feeds and cares only for her babies, even in captivity, they are usually unable to enclose the mother-DOE-rabbit alien rabbits. Feeling a strange smell, a DOE-rabbit usually eats offspring!